Wednesday, January 18, 2012

CHD Awareness Week is coming

Congenital heart defect awareness week is February 7-14, this year and I am so excited. Since becoming a heart mom, 3 1/2 years ago, Valentine's day has come to mean something different to me than a romantic holiday. Valentine's day and all the hearts that come with it, remind me of my sweet Gracie and her miracle heart.
Though I have wanted to do something for CHD Awareness week in the past years, I really didn't have the energy to do much more than what was on my plate with my own family. But now that Gracie is older and so much more stable and stronger, I feel it is my blessing to spread the word about heart defects and hopefully help open the eyes of our community to the impact CHD's play on families, individuals, and the communities in which they live in.
This year, I have a couple of things up my sleeve. I have contacted many different groups of people to see if I can do a little presentation about CHD's and their impact and ways we can all make a difference in CHDers' lives. Also a very good friend is helping me with another project that I am just ecstatic for---you'll have to wait a little while till that is unveiled.
Anyways, as my mind has been turned to how I can help during CHD week, I have been thinking more about my sweet Gracie and all that she has overcome. Just today, I went back through all of my blog posts from the day that Gracie was born and read all that Gracie has gone through. My goodness...she definitely defied the odds and has shown so many that God's grace is upon all of us.
Just a few photos that show how far Gracie has come in her 3 1/2 years.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I love this Deanna. I love that you are at a point in life and that Grace is at a point in life where you feel ready to take on awareness. I think its wonderful.

Cammie said...

Great post!

It still breaks my heart to see Gracie like that. Especially the one with all the scissors! She has come so far!