Sunday, March 21, 2010

I want one!!!

Last week I got a call from our Physical Therapist asking me if I wanted to bring Gracie down to the center to try out a new walker that was being demoed. This walker is relatively new on the market and very much unlike any other walker on the market. Gracie's therapist--Becca said that she was really anxious to see kids in it, because it is a good idea, but sometimes with these devices they look good on paper, but you get the kid in it and it doesn't work.


Anyways...the walker is called the KidWalk, you could learn more about it here http://www.primeengineering.com/pages/products/kidWalk.html and it was AMAZING to see Gracie in it. At first she hated it, but once we took off the upper chest harness, and moved her to the linoleum, she did great. Gracie moved back wards with purpose and ease and even tried to move forward. When I pushed the walker she eventually learned what her feet must do and tried to walk instead of just raising her feet.
We will be trying this walker out some more in the next few weeks, but I'm sold! It's a hands free walker and allows kids to move on all terrains and explore their surroundings just like non-disabled kids. We are now in the process of getting a prescription and writing the letters to insurance to try to get approved for one of these walkers. Our PT thinks we have a chance for two major reasons, it's likely that Gracie won't need any other major equipment like wheelchairs or the like and she is 21 months and her only mobility is rolling around on the floor. Wish us luck that we will get one of these amazing walkers soon. If there is anyone out there that has gone through the process and has some pointers, I would love to hear your input.

3 comments:

The Simmons Family said...

We didn't get that walker, but Owen has a gait trainer from Rifton. He just sits in it like a baby walker and HATES to be straped in. Our insurance covered it with our first try. A letter from his PT and Pediatrician and we were golden. GOOD LUCK!! I hope it helps Grace.

Jen, Paul and Gracie said...

Hi there,
My name is Jen and I'm a heartmom to a beautiful Grace as well :) I stumbled across your blog and was so excited to see this post. Our Gracie is 20 months and she is also in the rolling & somewhat crawling phase. I would love for Gracie to be able to try something like this to help her become more mobile. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to keeping up with your Grace.

lori said...

Oh, I hope!!