Friday, December 11, 2009

G-Tube surgery


Here I am yet again...the same day surgery waiting room. Gracie's surgery was scheduled at 2:30pm, but she wasn't taken back till about 3:15pm. It should be a rather short procedure, under an hour. It was interesting today was the first time that Grace has ever freaked out with nurses. During check-in anytime the nurse touched her to assess her she literally screamed at the top of her lungs, I think it is a combination of getting her RSV shot yesterday as well as recognizing the paper that is always on the tables at doctor's offices. Regardless, as soon as we were in the waiting area she perked up and played and laughed the entire wait. There were no tears as I left her at the operating doors...I kind of felt guilty because she has no idea what is happening, and I know she is going to be miserable afterwards. I just have to keep telling myself that this is for both mine and her benefit and soon we will both love it.

I'm so ready, I feel like every time I had to replace her NG I was just torchering her. Earlier this week I had to replace her tube because it was stretched out and leaking all over, as I did it, I thought to myself how happy I was that this would be the last time I would have to fight her, pin her down and just make her so mad. After I was done, I decided to save the lubricant tube---just in case.

Well not 30 minutes later, Gracie started fussing, yep she pulled out the silly tube. As I had to place the NG again she just looked at me with crocodite tears rolling down her cheeks as if to say will you just leave me alone. Oh how thrilled I am to not have to place this tube ever again!!

They should be calling me soon, so I'll update later, since we will be staying the night.

5 comments:

The Simmons Family said...

I hope things went great! I put off the Gtube for 20 months and now that we've had it for 3 months, I LOVE IT!!! Owen is still sensitive around the Gtube site and he protects it, but he's getting better everyday. I don't know how I placed the NG tube over and over again... you'll LOVE the Gtube. Is Grace getting the Mickey or the PEG??

Praying for a painless recovery.

Traci said...

Hope all went well. I've been thinking about you guy's today.

cici said...

What a little sweetie with her new hairdo ;)
Hope all goes well and you have a wonderful Christmas!

Michelle said...

This may sound crazy, but I think that is one of my all time favorite pictures of Grace.

She looks so mischievious and laughing and...just Grace.

Good luck little girl! Get better quick cause cousin Cade is excited to see you!

Staci said...

I hope that you love the g-tube as much as I did! I looked for you guys today, but didn't find you. Maybe next time.

Staci (angel Bridger's mom)