Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Cath lab here we come again

Remember how we were trying to wean Gracie off of her diuretics and how she tolerated going from three doses a day to two? She did amazing with that wean, how foolish we were to think she would tolerate going from two doses a day to only once a day. Within hours she developed that oh so familiar cough and within two days she went from 1/4 liter oxygen to 1 1/2 liters. After two days I put her back to the two doses a day and was even tempted to give her an extra dose of diuril, it took her 5 days to get back to her norm. I called cardiology on Friday and yesterday, Dr. Jou called to tell me that someone will be calling me from the cath lab to get Gracie in on Friday. I guess that is what you get when you can use frequent "flyer miles" :)

Dr. Jou and Dr. Su both think that Gracie has more collaterals that are keeping her from coming down on her diuretics (currently she is on 4ml's of bumex twice a day and .6ml of aldactone once a day, that's a lot for a barely 15lb baby!) Maybe this time around she will be able to come off of oxygen completely, even if it is only during the day. I have lofty hopes that this will be the case and then if she qualifies for a G-tube, maybe will actually get to have Gracie's face tube and tape free for the first time ever!

3 comments:

Staci said...

Bummer! These cute babies sure love their diuretics. I hope that you are able to get the g-tube, it was such a gift for Bridger. I hope all goes well and I will be thinking of you guys!

Staci (Bridger's mom)

Douglas Lai said...

Good luck with everything on Friday. I will be praying for you. Wouldn't it be wonderful to get her off of O2 for a while! Best of luck.
Erica

Shiloh said...

Ya for G tubes. They are thinking about one for Anne if she can't figure out eating in the next week.