On Wednesday, the plastic surgeon was able to be present for the wound change and realized that the picture he had seen was deceiving and Gracie indeed would need a skin graft. His concern is that there is still so much granulation tissue that they still need to debris it and give it some more time because he isn't sure the edges are ready to accept a graft. So the tentative plan is to look at the wound today and if it looks ready she may be going back to the OR on Monday or Tuesday.
The doctors don't want to extubate her before she goes to the OR--that just seems pointless, so we are still just sitting and letting our sweet girl rest. The are, however, trying to strengthen Grace's lungs by coming down on the rate settings of the vent--she seems to be tolerating it well. So the plan is to just sit tight and wait for the skin graft, if all goes well they will immediately start the weaning process.
So we will just enjoy being able to hold her more while we are at the hospital and hope that things will go well when the time comes to have Gracie start working more.
Can you tell how comfy she is in her mama's arms? Before I held her she was wide awake and content, within two minutes of being placed in my arms she fell sound asleep!