Saturday, August 16, 2008

"Stolen Moments"

Today was a good day--Grace's diarrhea seems to have improved and subsided. Her numbers all were good throughout the day and she got a lot of rest. It really is nice to have quiet days and know that she is currently at a good place.

I don't know if many of you know much about how the PICU works, but most of the time there is one nurse to one baby. The nurse usually is in the room the entire time just leaving for breaks, meds, etc. So for the most part no matter what we are never alone with Gracie. This is hard at times because for me it is hard to really talk with Grace when it isn't just between us. So whenever the nurse leaves the room I cherish those moments because it allows me to be with my baby almost like I would be if she was home with me. I lean over and whisper to her my fears and how proud I am of her, etc. These are my "stolen moments."

Yesterday I was able to spend much of the day with Gracie--probably the last time I can do that for a while--and when her nurse went to lunch I was in Heaven. I had finally got Grace to sleep and because her room is a noisy place, the nurse closed all three doors and left Gracie and I all alone. Of course there was a nurse listening for problems, and I could grab her at any time, but to have a whole half hour to myself with Grace was just wonderful!!!



Here's a picture of Grace from today just before we were leaving for home. I just got done changing her "blowout" diaper and you can tell how good she felt when I was all done.

1 comment:

Em said...

Sweet Gracie. I love "stolen" moments.