Sunday, March 22, 2009

Trip to the OR

After much deliberations among the various doctors following Gracie it was decided that the best move right now would be to place another central line--that way IV team wouldn't have to come every day to replace an IV and she is more equip to have a long term regimen of antibiotics if needed. Gracie is back in the OR right now and she wasn't too happy about going, she literally was kicking and screaming, oh how I love that she likes to tell us all what she thinks of all that she has to go through!!

We are fever free for two days!!! It seems that the antibiotics Grace was started on two days ago really seem to be helping, even though her CRP levels were elevated again today. The PICU Attending and the Infectious disease doctor are kind of in disagreement of what more needs to be done---the Infectious doctor thinks that Grace needs a nuclear bone scan and another MRI of her head to look for infection and the Attending thinks we should just hold tight and see what happens on antibiotics, if she breaks through them and still has fevers and elevated levels than we will continue "the hunt." I kind of agree with the Attending, yes, I do want to know what is going on, but not at the cost of having to continuously intubate and sedate to have these tests done because we all know that Grace can't just have some simple sedatives like most kiddos and be ok....I guess time will tell.

So the course of action is to watch Gracie and hope that she continues to respond well to the antibiotics. If she does then after a week of no fevers, no growth on blood cultures, and CRP levels below 4 she will go to Cath lab. The earliest she could go would be Friday, but most likely Monday. The good news is that she will be staying in the PICU while we wait. The Attending thinks it is pointless to move her to the floor for a day or two and frankly so do I, not to mention it is easier on us if she is in the PICU, because then I don't feel like I have to take up residence on the third floor with Grace.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Oh Deanna! I am sure that you all are so frustrated! Hopefully they can figure out how to help Gracie and fight off the infection. YOu are in my thoughts and prayers. Love you!

Erica said...

Yay for no fevers for two days. Praying that Grace continues to be fever free, and that the antibiotics do their job so no more tests.

Hollie said...

I hope that they were able to get a line in! Poor kiddo! She's such a trooper. It made me smile when you said that she was kicking and screaming on her way to the OR. I would have been too! I'm glad that the fevers seem to have subsided, and I hope and pray that it stays that way. Your family is in my constant thoughts and prayers, please let me know if there is anything I can do for you!
Hugs,
Hollie

Hilary said...

Hang in there Gracie we are all praying for you. You can do it!!!

Stacy said...

We are praying for your sweet Gracie. Even though we do not comment on all your updates, we are always reading them and thinking of you. I know how hard it is to see your little one going through so much. I am sure you would trade places in an instant. I can't imagine going through all of this and having to worry about your other beautiful daughter. It must be so confusing trying to explain all of this to her. Bless her heart. Both of them. Thinking of you always!